Monday, August 5, 2013

Quilted Table Runner (no bias tape)


























I've been wanting to make my own table runner for a long time. I've seen different ones but was recently inspired by the one posted on the blog Thrifty Crafty Girl. She also linked up to another tutorial so I looked at both for the basic idea of how to do it. I've never quilted anything before so I tried to make this very easy for myself. Since I had fabric scraps for the top I only bought the bottom piece (need 1/2 yard) and the batting (I bought the cheapest batting I could find). In the end the project cost around $3 to make. I completed it during the course of two nap times (about 4 hours)






















I used fabric that I had lying around, which happened to be Americana theme, so although July has passed, I still think it can be used year round. I also only did 9 strips (more strips you do the longer it will take) and each strip was cut to be 4 inches wide and about 14 inches long. In the end the entire table runner, with the border, is about 14 inches wide and 34 inches long.

I sewed the strips together first (1/4 inch seams) and then sewed them to the batting and bottom layer. You could just do it once but I wasn't super confident so I thought I should sew the top first, plus I didn't have any batting yet, so I wanted to make sure the top turned out first. Then I just pinned the top piece to my batting and bottom layer and sewed along the stitch line of my top piece as if I was doing it just once (as shown in the Diary of a Quilter tutorial). I used thread that matched my bottom piece and that is the only side you will end up seeing it on, which is nice.

I do not have a cutting mat or rotary cutter (wish I did, but they are expensive and I am just a beginner right now), so I decided not to make bias tape but instead just cut the bottom piece so it was about 2 inches longer than my top piece and folded it over twice so that the border was about 1 inch all the way around. I folded the corners kind of like a package and pinned. Then I just sewed right on top with my pressure foot lined up with the inside edge of the border, so the stitch was about 1/4 inch in.

Considering this was my first "quilting" project and I didn't use a rotatory cutter and mat I think it turned out great. Maybe I will make other seasonal ones in the future when I get a cutting mat and can be more precise, but this one should work year round for now.

Here are two more that I've made since then.